Monday, January 4, 2010

Bicycling in Auroville

As many of you know, I consider the bicycle an essential of life. Without it - is there a purpose to life. Thus, when offered a bike to get around Auroville, I thought that a magnificent idea. Then I was introduced to the Inida bike. It is upright, single speed with basic, albeit functional brakes. It is heavy and quite top heavy. Thank heavens there are no significant hills here as that would surely mean getting off and pushing this tank up. I can't imagine that you could ride up.
Yet this very basic transport tool serves a large number of the population quite well.
Many tourists to Auroville take up scooters and small motorbikes. I having no experience with this have decided that would be testing the limits of life. Motorbike instruction here amounts to showing you the gears, where the brake is, where the gas goes in and off you go. Apparently, there is a fairly high rate of of new user injuries here.
I have been reintroduced to the joys of masala tea. There is really nothing like it in Canada - not even in Indian restaurants. Part of the challenege here is to wander the better chai shops in search of the perfect chai - it replaces my otherwise well known addiction to lattes - a rarre phenominon here. I have also returned to drip coffee (those who know me well will understand that is almost miraculous) but bif you want coffee that is the way it is - period!
We are presently planning a side trip to Mumbai for a few days late in the month.
Once the internet connection is strong enough, I will upload some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment