Sunday, January 3, 2010

En route and arrival in Auroville

I think I am somehwat addicted to travel. This is good because the security forces of the world have conspired to make the process of getting there - not - half the fun. There are the inevitable line ups while the humourless and nosey decide if your carry on is worthy of extra attention. Even if you don't get it, you will be held up by those who do get it. It is amazing the degree to which travellers have just accepted that is the way it is and indeed that is the way it is so get used to it. Certainly, if your eestination was the United States you were going to be subject to intense inspection. I am so glad my routing to India took me through England instead.

Whilst en route Calgary to London, I had the pleasure of being on a very full plane that was mainly acting as an international day care. Being New Years day, many families were retourning home from Christmas vacations. The children were actually quote amazing considering 9 hours in tube with little room to roam. I also had the joy of sitting next to a rather large weight lifiting male who, when falling asleep, felt that my right shoulder was just the perfect pillow. I think he also suffered from a very bad case of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder as he was in constant motion. Each time I drifted off he slid on to my shoulder and then proceeded to wiggle. It was an absolutely perfect tactic to ensure that I did not sustain any lack of alertness.

In London, I had the amazing pleasure of an afternoon and evening with Derek and Chris. We had coffee at Monmouths - a wonderful coffee shop located in a market. We wandered the market and I sampled some cheeses including a creamy brie like goats cheese that came in a small round, a delightful Baklava. We went to a Pakistinian restaurant, Tyyabs which was packed to the ceiling. There was an hour line up if you came without reservations - and people stayed in the lineup wiating patiently for what is just amazing food quite reasonably priced. It was such a joy to spend the time with Derek and Chris who gave up their bed so I could have a good night's sleep. I was also exposed to their own version of the apple store - apple Ipods, apple computers, apple backups, apple TV.

The trip to Chennai the next morning had the best possible feature of airplane travel - on time and delightfully boring. The trip in the taxi from Cennai to Auroville was also as expected - terrifying and operating with road rules that make no sense. There is an almost guarentee when taking an Indian taxi that you will be subject to various moments when you llok at the palm of yoru hand to ensure that your life line does indicate that you will make to the next day.

While sleeping I was visited by a 3 cm little centipede / scoropin creature who fet it necessary to take a chunk out of my left leg. I presume this is mother nature welcoming me.

It is April's birthday so we sang Happy Birthday in the courtyard and so begins my first day in India.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning/afternoon, depending what part of the world you are in.
    Happy Birthday April!!!
    Peter, you didn't mention if any of the cognac was left for you to sample once you met up with Derek and Chris.
    Weather in Vancouver is a balmy (and need I say wet)7 degrees C.
    Enjoy the time in India. By the way, how did you get tanned so quickly?
    Art and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April and Peter,
    Jan was just reminding that the last time you were here we offered to instruct you in the fine skills of motorcycle riding. Unfortunately, you didn't take us up on our offer; see what you could have done now.
    So next time you're riding the tank up the hill, remember our offer.
    Puff away and enjoy the drip coffee
    Art and Jan

    ReplyDelete