Monday, August 29, 2011

Reflections on leaving India


My trips here are always emotionally important events. I learn much about myself and find myself challenged about how I see the world. Each time I leave, I depart a different person. Tonight, in the early hours, April and I will leave Chennai for home. This morning we travelled from Auroville up to Chennai, a trip of about 3 hours.

On the way, I saw myself reflecting on the constant contradictions that this country presents. There is absolute poverty within a growing and dynamic economy. On the way, you see new housing enclaves being built for those who are benefitting from the growth. Streets in Chennai are snarled with traffic increasingly made up of cars versus motorcycles – also a byproduct of the growing economy. The air quality in Chennai is poor and my eyes were burning after only an hour in the traffic. Local buses belch pollution visibly.

En route I also saw tremendous beauty that is India. Mango groves, palm trees, forests, coastlines, temples. In the days before leaving, I have seen life at its best. I have been in the company of intelligent people who are challenging things that need to change.

While here, Anna Hazare has led a fight against corruption that has captured the attention of the country, if not a good part of the world. In conversation at breakfast yesterday with two Indian families, they spoke of the desire for change, the end of corruption and honesty in government. They talked about how corruption has crept into even minor day to day transactions such as the man delivering the cooking gas insisting that he be paid extra for carrying the canister into the house.

Part of what I was doing here was teaching two separate groups about child sexual abuse. This occurs here at rates that are quite high, although we are certainly not exempt in the West by any extent. I met mothers in villages who bravely listened about this topic, something that is not often talked about. Yet, today I read about a headmaster at a school who has been sexually abusing girls for years, but both the victims and the families resist putting in police complaints. I met social workers here who push that India will no longer tolerate this. I also read about the Manitoba Mennonite Colony is South America where sexual assaults have damaged a community’s life. While here, I also read about the conviction of Warren Jeffs in the USA for sexual abuse. Thus, I know that the efforts to stop sexual abuse are needed broadly but change will occur only if we keep seeking it.

I have met ordinary Indians who have welcomed me and treated me with such dignity and respect. One young man at a place I ate regularly asked me to come and watch him play cricket. Another young lady brought April flowers for her hair. Amas (ladies who work at guest houses) who have known us from past visits have come up to us on the street or at cafes to say hello and wish us well. We have been invited into homes. It has been such joy.

We are a privileged society in the West in some ways but we too are struggling with a growing picture of poverty as economies falter. Here, if you have money, very good health care is easily available at prices that many in the west see as ridiculously cheap. If you want an arthroscopic surgery on your knee, you can have it tomorrow (no wait list) for about 60,000R or about $2600. The divide is such, however, that health care is far less effective if you are poor.

I was fascinated driving in to pass a large banner of Terry Fox. It was advertising the upcoming cancer run. It reminded me of the power of one person to capture the imagination for change. Anna Hazare has also done that. I asked myself, in daily life, how too do we also create the spirit of change and refuse to accept a status quo that fails too many people.

Why is that we have a world where one child will be served breakfast and another, like the child I saw this morning, will walk around barely clothed, squatting in the street to go to the bathroom.  Sri Aurobindo observed, “The idea of human progress itself is very probably an illusion, for there is no sign that man, once emerged from the animal stage, has radically progressed during his race history; at most he has advanced in knowledge of the physical world, in Science in the handling of his surroundings, in his purely external and utilitarian use of the secret laws of Nature. But otherwise he is what he always was in the early beginnings of civilization; he continues to manifest the same capacities, the same qualities and defects, the same efforts, blunders, achievements, frustrations. If progress there has been, it is in a circle, at most perhaps a widening circles…” In a world where we still have corruption, war, abuse of women, child physical and sexual abuse and the increasing incarceration of mentally ill, have we indeed mad any progress!

I read that Asia has been the source of spirituality in the world while the West has been about industry and intellectual pursuit. I wonder if those lines are weakening, as this growing economy stands taller – but the spiritual is fortunately very much at the core of this country still.

It is the brave people here who stand for something different and work toward it that are the signs that hope exists.

I look forward to my return next year to find out what else I will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment