Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Back Here

Arriving back in India has been like coming to visit an old friend. As soon as we stepped off the plane, there were the smells, the noise and the crowds – and this was at 0345. By the time we cleared immigration and found our baggage, it was 0500 and we were still a three hour taxi ride from our destination in Auroville. Fortunately, we were met by the smiling face of our now familiar driver, Chakrapani.


We are settled on our 100 cc scooters (that seem so small compared with what we are driving at home) and managing to get about.

We are again at Sharnga Guest House where we have enjoyed relations with quite wonderful staff. It is like coming back to old friends. The cook knows that I really love Biryani, a wonderful rice and chicken dish – so I was welcomed back with that for dinner. Nothing like food to make you really feel like you are in the right place.

Some rather interesting issues are being debated here. There is a fear that President Obama is about to take steps in the USA to stop outsourcing. The papers talk of his attempts to have the work done at home including the design and manufacturing of various goods. The worry here is that this will mean fewer growth opportunities for a country that has been steaming along while many in countries in the West are seen as having floundered in dangerous waters.

Another odd discussion here is that people should not follow the way of the Buddha. I was surprised to have someone tell me of this debate but he is being portrayed as a poor family man. He left his family on his spiritual quest so what kind of a role model is that? Hmm indeed. I wonder what power agenda is behind that.

The arrival of the summer monsoon is being awaited. Water levels are apparently pretty good here as there has been good rain over the past few weeks but more is sought.

I will have much more to say over the next few days now that I am beginning to convince my body that we are in a different time zone – although I note that I am writing this brief entry at 3 a.m. – the result of too much napping during the day I fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment