Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Teaching

I have been teaching a program here on child protection - half way through it. One of the joys of teaching is how much we really learn from the students. I have become more aware of the complexities of Indian culture. As well, I have come to undertsand how some things which we take for granted as being true in child proetction are not so here.

India faces a major problem with child sexual abuse - government and research estimates are that 53% of children have experienced this. Yet the resources needed to change family attitudes and to support children who need to tell their story are only emerging - particularly in rural areas. There is a need for a major cultural change that will take generations.

I am impressed however, with those who are willing to begin the conversations with families, children and communities. They show a strength and a willingness to be the voice of change. It is in meeting these people that I am most blessed.

Each journey here gives me way more than I can imagine returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment