Friday, August 20, 2010

Contradictions

As a westerner, I am privileged here in more ways than I can contemplate. Many of these, cause me discomfort. A very simple example is going out to dinner. Tonight we will hire a taxi to go to Pondicherry and have dinner. We will spend 5-600R (around $14) and will eat at a level that so many Indians would not even imagine. In addition, we will have hired a taxi who will sit outside waiting for us while we eat. On the other hand, we are helping him earn a living.

Yet, I am struck by this as a result of seeing some drawings and statements written by 10 year olds who were asked what child protection means. One talked about not having enough food which made her sad; another being afraid of parents; another who drew a picture of not feeling safe.

These children just came up to me as I was riding through a village and asked me to take their picture. Their mother sat on the sidelines amused by the whole thing
I am safe in my life. I do not worry about being able to put food on the table. I do not worry about a parent abusing me. But I also realize that these same challenges exist in Calgary. They  are just so evident here.

No comments:

Post a Comment